Individual Financial Assistance Program
Deadline Information for 2017 Upcoming Events
The Deadline dates are firm, no exceptions. Please submit applications as early as possible.
March 9-11, 2017 34th National Shag Dance Championship
Financial Assistance Applications for NSDC must be received by February 10, 2017
March 24-26, 2017 2nd Junior Cyclone
Financial Assistance Applications for Junior Cyclone must be received by March 4, 2017
May 25-29, 2017 23rd Grand National Dance Championship
Financial Assistance Applications for GNDC must be received by May 3, 2017
July 18-23, 2017 26th Junior SOS
Financial Assistance Applications for Junior SOS must be received by June 26, 2017
US Open Swing Dance Championships November 23-29, 2017
Financial Assistance Applications for US Open must be received by November 1, 2017
The financial assistance program is intended to provide financial aid to individuals less than 21 years of age to make it possible for them to participate in learning or teaching at shag dance related events. Examples of types of assistance available include event entry fees, gas/travel, food and lodging. The Foundation encourages non-competitive, as well as competitive juniors to apply.
1. Juniors must be under 21 years of age.
2. The application must be received by the posted due date, usually three weeks in advance of the event.
3. The junior’s parent or guardian must approve and sign the application. Incomplete applications will be returned. Juniors from the same family may complete one “family application” as long as the names and ages of each junior are listed.
4. The event must be predominately a shag event and must have an educational aspect (for example, junior is taking or teaching shag workshops, or practicing and learning for a sanctioned shag contest). Qualified events for the current year include: Junior Cyclone, National Shag Dance Championship, Grand National Dance Championship, Junior SOS, US Open Dance Championships and Winter Jam along with any other junior events financially supported by the Foundation.
5. Members of junior shag teams may apply for individual assistance providing the event meets the requirements listed above and the application is signed by their parent/guardian.
7. Family or individual applicants who are granted $400 or more in assistance during any calendar year are required to submit receipts after the event. If proof of expenses is not received via mail within 30 days after the event date that family or individual will be ineligible for future assistance from the Foundation.
8. The amount of assistance varies and may not offset all event expenses. Juniors may apply for more than one event per calendar year but limits on the amount of assistance provided will be established annually. Limits may change throughout the year based on available funds and the number of applicants or may be reduced at the sole discretion of The Foundation if it becomes aware that the applicant has already requested assistance from another organization, group, individual, team, or fundraiser to attend the same event.
9. The Ellen Taylor Foundation reserves the right to refuse to provide aid if any of the following apply:
a) Application does not meet general requirements
b) Event is not primarily a shag dance event
c) Event does not have an educational aspect – (for example, junior is taking or teaching shag workshops, or practicing and learning for a sanctioned shag contest)
d) Application is not received by the posted due date, usually three weeks before the event
e) The Foundation’s annual giving budget has been exhausted
f) The applicant has already met the annual limit for aid
In sum, the Foundation attempts to help as many juniors as possible each year but reserves the right to refuse assistance based on a host of factors as mentioned above.
Parent or Guardian
1. Complete the Junior Information section of the application.
2. Complete and Sign the Parent/Guardian Information section of the application.
Ellen Taylor Foundation for Junior Shaggers
PO Box 4501
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29597
Important: Applications must be received by the posted due date, usually three weeks before the event. If an application is returned to the applicant the revised application must still be received by the Foundation three weeks before the event.
1. Applications will be logged by date of receipt. An email will be sent to the parent/guardian and to the sponsor to confirm the application has been received.
2. Applications will be reviewed for complete information and signatures. Incomplete applications will be returned to the parent/guardian.
3. All applications will be sent to the Assistance Program Chairman for review.
4. Once applications are reviewed, checks will be issued for approved applications. An email will be sent to the parent/guardian advising that a check is being mailed.
5. Parents/guardians will confirm the check has been received via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. All information submitted and assistance provided is private and strictly between the Ellen Taylor Foundation and the recipient.
Juniors receiving assistance are encouraged to send the Foundation an email at email@example.com to let us know how attending the event helped them. If they taught or helped teach others, approximately how many participants were in the class? We appreciate your feedback and may use it for articles or the Foundation website. We will not reveal your name if we use your feedback.
1. Start the application process early. Begin the application process two to three months before the event. Allow time for obtaining your sponsor signature, mailing the application and correcting incomplete or incorrect applications if applicable.
3. Fully complete the Applicant Information and the Parent or Guardian Information sections of the application. Application forms may change often. Always complete or print the application from the Foundation web site. The Word Doc is the preferred application. If you are unable to complete the Word Doc print the PDF version of the application. If you use the PDF version please print. Incomplete applications will be returned and the process will start over.
4. Mail the application to the Ellen Taylor Foundation for Junior Shaggers
Family or individual applicants who are granted $400 or more in assistance during any calendar year are required to submit receipts after the event. During the event save your receipts. If proof of expenses is not received via mail within 30 days after the event date that family or individual will be ineligible for future assistance from the Foundation.
Save the Document, Complete and Print the Document
If completing the PDF version, please print.